Saturday 18 December 2010

Climbing in Melbourne


I climbed for the first time in Australia on Friday. Mum and dad took me to Hardrock Climbing Centre. I wanted to climb outside but we aren't staying here for long enough and we have just got over our jetlag. We had to be tested to make sure mum could belay me properly and I could tie in properly. All of the climbs were top ropes because you had to take a course before you are allowed to lead climb and you couldn't do this in an afternoon. All the belays were attached to the ground for safety, but it made it difficult to belay. The grades were all different numbered to 25. I warmed up on a couple of 17/18 and then moved on to some in the 20's. I tried a tricky climb using just pockets, but my favourite was using a self belaying rope where you could just throw yourself off the wall and float to the floor and then climb up again. I tried a very crimpy red equivalent to a 7b and just floated down when I fell off. Can't wait to climb in Perth.

No comments:

Post a Comment